Holwood Farm Shop and Deli offers foodies a true taste of the ‘Garden of England’.
Call us 01689 638381
Mayfield Souffled Macaroni Cheese
6 rashers oak-smoked bacon, finely chopped (optional)
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 tbsp plain flour
2½ tbsp mustard powder
1½ tsp cayenne pepper
4 eggs, separated
150g cream cheese
150g Mayfield cheese
150g Holmbury cheddar
Salt and black pepper
Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the bacon, if using, until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion and soften, but do not allow to colour, then mix in the flour until you have a smooth paste.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking until smooth after each addition.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool a little, then mix in the mustard powder, cayenne pepper, lightly beaten egg yolks and cream cheese, followed by 100g each of the Mayfield and Holbury cheddar.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and warm an ovenproof dish in it.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of salted water for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Pour over the cheese sauce and bacon, if using, and mix well. Season to taste.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a large bowl, then carefully fold them into the macaroni mix.
- Spoon into the hot dish, sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Eat with a green salad to assuage some of your guilt.
Vegetable recipe (4)
One pot recipe (1)
soup recipe (1)
barbecue recipe (1)
barbecue recipe (3)
Family Supper (1)
Simply Ice Cream (1)
sloe gin (1)
Chorizo and Bean Hotpot (1)
recipe, cocktail, elderflower gin (2)
stuffed mushrooms (1)
fish pie (1)
Chai latte (1)
Olive Branch (1)
ice cream (1)